Devi Kund and Sundherdhunga are the most favorite trekking destinations for many trekkers. Sundherdhunga is a very alluring place in the kumaon region of Uttarakhand. In the Kumaoni dialect, the literal meaning of the word “Sundherdhunga” is “Valley of beautiful stones”. To understand the appropriateness of the name 'Sundherdhunga' one has to actually trek there. The tranquality of this place is incomparable and coherent when you further trek to this high altitude semi circle crystal clear Lake Devi Kund, which in English means “the abode of Devi”, lies at an altitude of 14,500 ft above the sea level. The spectacular view of the lake attracts trekkers all round the world, surrounded by sheer Mt. Panwali dwar, the imposing Maiktoli, Anamik, Bhanouti, Tharkhot, Durgakot, Simsagam ,the massive Mrigthuni and Mt Nandakot.
The path to Devi Kund from Sundherdhunga is a beautiful and colorful journey through the blowsy, budding, assorted flowers, distinct valleys, various small and medium waterfalls and the striking snow capped mountain ranges.Sundherdhunga gives the trekkers ample opportunity to camp in the green valleys at Dhakuri pass surrounded by pine trees. From Dhakuri, a halt for the trekkers, gives a astonishing panoramic view of Sundherdhunga, Pindari and khafni valleys.
While trekking to Devi Kund and Sundherdhunga, you can experience the beauty and simplicity of the Kumaoni lives truely. This trek can make you experience the hill folk’s living culture and tradition. . The route of Devi Kund and Shundherdhunga trekking is full of adventure and excitement that you can hardly forget in your lifetime.
This trek needs at least 6-7 hours of walk each day to summit. The months of March to May or months of September to December are the best time to trek in the Kumaon Himalayas. This trek targets not only to the summit but also to capture the photographs of the entire region.
Day 1: Kathgodam to Bageswar (Drive About 171 km)
Day 2: Bageswar to Loharkhet (40 km drive)
Day3: Loharkhet to Dhakuri
Day 4: Dhakuri to Jatoli
Day 5: Jatoli to Kathliya
Day 6: Kathliya to Maiktoli Base Camp and Return to Kathliya
Day 7: Kathliya to Devi Kund via Balooni Top
Day 8: Devikund to Banaknr via Nagkund
Day 9: Banaknr to Patharkuni via Kanakata Pass
Day 10: Patharkuni to Jatoli
Day 11: Jatoli to Dhakuri
Day 12: Dhakuri to Loharkhet and drive back to Bageswar
Day 13: Acclimization Day/Rest Day Depending upon the situation of team member during trek
Day 14 : Bageswar to Kathgodam
• Transport from Kathgodam to Kathgodam.
• All necessary permits
• Accommodation (trekkers hut, Home stay, camps, Tents) with sleeping bag and sleeping mat
• Food while on trek (Veg.+Non Veg)
• Trek Leader, Guide and Support staff.
• First Aid.
• Entry fees
• Food during the transit.
• Any kind of personal expenses.
• Personal equipments : axe, trekking pole, crampon,
• Mules or porter to carry personal luggage.
• Anything not specifically mentioned.
1. Backpack (45-55 L) with sturdy straps and supporting frame.
2. Knap pack (20L) optional
3. Trekking shoes – no sports shoes. (With Rubber Sole, high ankle)
4. 3 nos trek pants
5. 4 nos tees with collar
6. Full sleeves sweater (not too thick).
7. A full sleeves fleece jacket.
8. A full sleeve thick jacket or something similar.
9. 1 pair of thermal inners (optional)
10. Sports socks.
11. Woolen monkey cap
12. Wind cheater Or a light rain coat/poncho.
13. Woolen hand gloves + synthetic glove (water proof).
14. Sun glasses (polarized or UV protected)
16. Cold cream & sun screen lotion (SPF 40+).
17. Lip balm.
18. Carry 2 Water bottles (1 L each).
19. Personal toilet kit and toilet papers
20. Personal medicine kit
a. Coca 30 – 30 ml
b. Crocin – 6 tablets
c. Avomine – 4 tablets
d. Avil 25mg – 4 tablets
e. Combiflam – 4 tablets
f. Disprin – 6 tablets
g. Norflox TZ– 6 tablets
h. Crepe bandage – 3 to 5 meters
i.Band aid – 10 strips
j. Eno – 6 Satches
k. Cotton – 1 small roll
l. ORS – 5 packets
m. Betadine or any antiseptic cream
n. Volini Spray(small)
21. Small repair kit consisting of safety pins, needle, thread and string
22. LED Torch with 2 extra set of cells.
23. Camera, memory-cards, batteries etc (carry enough spare batteries. Electricity is not available on the slopes or at the base camp)
24. While packing, use plastic bags to compartmentalize things and carry few extra plastic bags.
25. Trekking pole/Stick is mandatory.
26. Carry lots of dry fruits, chocolates combinations as snacks. Chewing gums
27. Travel coffee mug n plate
28. Soap Strip
29. One Candle , lighter
Sunderdhunga Kanakata Pass Trek
Duration: 14 Days
Grade: Moderate to Challenging
A/C Name : Wetrekkers
Current A/C No : 916020035442426
Branch Code : 2013
IFSC Code : UTIB0002013
Branch Address : 31/7 Ramcharan Seth Road,
Howrah - 711 104