Roopkund Trek or The mystery lake trek is one of the most famous trek in uttarakhand and is a quentissential trek for every trekker who is passionate about trekking in the himalayas. The roopkund trek is full of mystery and adventure. With beautiful himalayan peaks at every step along with the mystery element of the hundreds of skeletons found in and around the lake, attracts many trekkers for this one of a kind himalayan trek.
We are awarded with the views of different landscapes everyday. views of snow capped himlayan mountains, like Trishul, Nanda Ghungti, Choukhamba, Banderpoonch and many other welcomes the trekker at every turn. Vastness of the ali bugiyal captivates the beholders and makes Roopkund trek, one of the most sought after treks in India.The trek also known as the “Mysterious skeleton lake “or simply “the skeleton lake”, atracts trekkers from all over the world and makes it the most famous destination for trekking in Uttarakhand.
The mystery lake trek can be quite taxing and is rated as a moderate trek. Its mostly a summer trek, and the route remains open from april to june and sep to november. A preparation of about a month is advisable before attempting the trek,especially for amateur trekkers and if he has no prior high altitude trekking experience. Having a highest altitude of above 15,000 feet, Roopkund trek can be difficult for someone with no experience of trekking in himalayas. Inspite of the moderate difficulty, the roopkund trek is still a much sought after trek in iIndia, for its beautiful and varied landscapes. An experience of a life time, away from the emails, phone calls, daily tasks, the deep virgin Rhodedendron and Oak forests, gurgling brooks, breath-taking campsites, and miles of undulating meadows, snow and ice, and the taste of a great adventure as one climbs from 8,000 ft to 16,000 ft.
Day 1: Kathgodam to Wan Village
Day 2: Wan Village to Garoli Patal
Day 3: Garoli Patal to Ali bugiyal
Day 4: Ali Bugiyal to Pathar Nachauni
Day 5: Pathar Nachauni to Baguabasa
Day 6: Baguabasa to Roopkund back to Bedni Bugiyal
Day 7: Bedni Bugiyal to Wan Village
Day 8: Wan Village to Kathgodam
• Trek from Wan Village to Wan Village
• All necessary permits
• Accommodation (trekkers hut, Home stay, camps, Tents) with sleeping bag and sleeping mat
• Food while on trek (Veg.+Non Veg).
• Trek Leader, Guide and Support staff.
• First Aid with Oxygen
• Crampon/Micro Spikes
• Entry fees
• Food during the transit.
• Any kind of personal expenses.
• Personal equipments : Ice axe, Trekking pole.
• Mules or porter to carry personal luggage.
• Anything not specifically mentioned.
1. Backpack (45-55 L) with sturdy straps and supporting frame.
2. Knap pack (20L) optional
3. Trekking shoes – no sports shoes. (With Rubber Sole, high ankle)
4. 3 trek pants
5. 4 tees with collar
6. Full sleeves sweater (not too thick).
7. A full sleeves fleece jacket.
8. A full sleeve thick jacket or something similar.
9. 1 pair of thermal inners (optional)
10. Sports socks.
11. Woolen monkey cap
12. Wind cheater Or a light rain coat/poncho.
13. Woolen hand gloves + synthetic glove (water proof).
14. Sun glasses (polarized or UV protected)
16. Cold cream & sun screen lotion (SPF 40+).
17. Lip balm.
18. Carry 2 Water bottles (1 L each).
19. Personal toilet kit and toilet papers
20. Personal medicine kit
a. Coca 30 – 30 ml
b. Crocin – 6 tablets
c. Avomine – 4 tablets
d. Avil 25mg – 4 tablets
e. Combiflam – 4 tablets
f. Disprin – 6 tablets
g. Norflox TZ– 6 tablets
h. Crepe bandage – 3 to 5 meters
i.Band aid – 10 strips
j. Eno – 6 Satches
k. Cotton – 1 small roll
l. ORS – 5 packets
m. Betadine or any antiseptic cream
n. Volini Spray(small)
21. Small repair kit consisting of safety pins, needle, thread and string
22. LED Torch with 2 extra set of cells.
23. Camera, memory-cards, batteries etc (carry enough spare batteries. Electricity is not available on the slopes or at the base camp)
24. While packing, use plastic bags to compartmentalize things and carry few extra plastic bags.
25. Trekking pole/Stick is mandatory.
26. Carry lots of dry fruits, chocolates combinations as snacks. Chewing gums
27. Travel coffee mug n plate
28. Soap Strip
29. One Candle , lighter
Why roopkund is most wanted trek of India?
Nestled in a saddle between the two Himalayan peaks , Trishul (7,120 m) and Nandaghunti (6,310 m), Roopkund is one of the most sought after treks in India. With its deep and dense forests of oak and pine, vast green meadows, and some thrilling snow climbs, the trek to this picturesque lake is quintessential to all wayfarers. Situated at a height of 5,029 meters this tranquil lake belongs to the Garhwal Himalayas situated in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand. Tucked into the remote corners of the Himalayas, the lake also holds a mystery that has intrigued generations of myth busters. Roopkund also known as the “skeletal Lake” or the “Mystery Lake” , had been the center of attraction ever since the discovery of hundreds of skeletons , in and around the lake.
Roopkund derives its name from the local folklore which describes it as the vanity mirror of the local deity, Nanda Devi. Its deep virgin forests, gurgling brooks, breath-taking campsites, miles of undulating meadows, snow and ice and the adventurous climb from 8000ft to 16000 ft truly makes this trek, a truly desirable one.
Why Bedni Bugiyal is the best camp site?
One of the most beautiful alpine meadows, Bedni Bugyal is situated at a height of 3354 m above sea level. It offers the best view of the mighty Trishul (7,124 m). Virgin meadows greets the visitor, beyond the horizon. The serene Vaitarani Lake also known as the Bedni Kund is home to the rare Brahma Kamal flower. Scenic mountains, , deep valleys, and lofty peaks, offers the most memorable sunrise and sunsets. With the enormous western flank of the Trishul and Nanda Ghunti overlooking it, Bedni Bugiyal is surely a heaven on earth.
What is Ali Bugiyal?
Auli bugiyal, also known as “heavenly terrace”, is one of the largest bugiyals in India. Constricted by the coniferous forests of oak and deodhar, auli bugiyal dress up its blossom, after the melt of snow in april-may. It lies in a elavation range of 2500-3000 metres, and is in the backdrop of, Nanda Devi, Kamet,Mana Parvat, Dunagiri mountain, Hati parvat, Bethantoli and Ghora parvat peaks of The Himalayas.. It also offers the mesmerising sunset views.
How difficult the trek is?
Roopkund is a quite high altitude trek. It climbs to 15,700 feet, which is higher than Mt Blanc, Europe’s highest summit. Though the trek can be rated as moderate to challenging, there are very few trails in our country, which is as safe as Roopkund trail for beginners, and still climb to such a high altitude. The high altitude sometimes affects causing AMS; however our trained leaders and guides are well qualified to handle such situations and take care. If one prepares himself with physical activity for at least a month before this trek, it would not be so much difficult to trek this trail.
What is the average temp?
Day: 13° to 20°C. Night: 2° to 7°C. Temp at highest camp, Bhagwabasa: Day 3°C to 10°C. Night: 3° to -10°C.
When can I find snow?
Roopkund Lake is covered with ice for most of the time during the year.
What is the difficult part of this trek?
Difficult part of this trek is the weather, which is unpredictable and makes the trek challenging. But our guide would help you to understand the weather and decide on the proper course of action. Sometimes due to snow level it becomes difficult to walk and the trail becomes slippery, however use of crampon solves that.
Is trekkers hut available other than tents?
Trekkers huts are few in numbers, a prior booking might be necessary
Duration: 8 days
Season: May-June, Sep-Nov
Grade: Easy to Moderate
- Batch 1 : 23rd April to 28th April'17 (Open)
- Batch 2 : 28th April to 3rd May'17 (Open)
- Batch 3 : 3rd May to 8th May'17 (Open)
- Batch 4 : 8th May to 13th May'17 (Open)
- Batch 5 : 13th May to 18th May'17 (Open)
- Batch 6 : 21st May to 26th May'17 (Open)
- Batch 7 : 26th May to 31st May'17 (Open)
- Batch 8 : 4th June to 9th June'17 (Open)
- Batch 9 : 11th June to 16th June'17 (Open)
A/C Name : Wetrekkers
Current A/C No : 916020035442426
Branch Code : 2013
IFSC Code : UTIB0002013
Branch Address : 31/7 Ramcharan Seth Road,
Howrah - 711 104