The Sara Umga Pass is one of the most challenging yet popular destinations for trekking in India. The pass, which connects the Tosh valley with the Lahaul valley, is a must do for trekkers, planning for a challenging trekking in Himachal. The Sara Umga Pass or Sara Umaga La, lies on the historic Indo-Tibetan trade route on Kullu - Spiti path. It’s an ideal trek, for an experienced trekker who is up for a challenging trek in the Himalayas.
The offbeat trail, starts from the greenly pastures of the Tosh valley and crosses over the wilful rugged wakes of the Spiti valley. The trek commences from the Tosh village and continues mostly along the banks of the Tosh River. The Tosh Valle is the feeder valley of the popular Parvati valley which is again one of the most famous destinations for, trekking in India. The trail meanders along the flanks of the mighty Tosh continuing over beautiful and untouched meadows, deep pine forests and rhododendron cluster before reaching at the high altitude meadow at Sharam Thach. Higher up is Shamsi Thach. The higher grounds of the Tosh Valley opens up to the base of the Tosh Glacier where there are a few alpine glacial lakes. This also the region from where mountaineers attempt to climb the famous Dharamsura or white sail(6,466 m) and PapaSura (6,451 m), Kullu’s highest peaks. Legend has it that, it that the two mountains gain ascendency over each other according to whether the forces of evil (Pap) or those of good (Dharm) happen to prevail over the world at that time. On east of the Tosh glacier lies the face of the massive Kullu Makalu, peak and glacier.
The Sara Umga Pass lying at a height of about 4900 m, is a challenging trek, meant only for experienced trekkers. Though being a tough hike, the views of the central Lahaul and many impressive six-thosanders of the Chandra Bhaga range, makes the effort worthwhile. One also is greeted by the sight of Bara Shingri , asia’s second largest glacier, from atop the pass. The mighty peaks of Deo Tibba at 6,001 meters and Indrasan at 6,290 meters are also visible from Pass.
Day 01: The participants arrive in Kullu/Manikaran
Day 02: Manikaran – Tosh Vill by jeep (2400m) – trek fromTosh village – Buddhaban (3020m)
Day 03: Buddhaban – Sharam Thach (3505m)
Day 04: Sharam Thach – Shamshi Thach (3800m)
Day 05: Acclimitization day at Shamshi Thach.
Day 06: Shamshi Thach – Kuta Thach (4100m).
Day 07: Kuta Thach – Sara Umga Pass (4700m) – Putiruni (3800m)
Day 08: Putiruni – Chota Dhara (3700m)
Day 09: Chota Dhara – Manali by jeep
Day 10: Additional Day if Required (Bad Weather/Any Natural Disaster)
• Transport from Manali to Manali
• All necessary permits
• Accommodation (trekkers hut, Home stay, camps, Tents) with sleeping bag, sleeping mat
• Food while on trek (Veg.+ Egg+ Chicken Meal)
• Trek Leader, Guide and Support staff.
• First Aid.
• Entry fees
• Food during the transit.
• Any kind of personal expenses.
• Personal equipments :Ice axe, trekking pole, crampon,
• Mules or porter to carry personal luggage.
• Anything not specifically mentioned.
1. Backpack (45-55 L) with sturdy straps and supporting frame.
2. Knap pack (20L) optional
3. Trekking shoes – no sports shoes. (With Rubber Sole, high ankle)
4. 3 trek pants
5. 4 tees with collar
6. Full sleeves sweater (not too thick).
7. A full sleeves fleece jacket.
8. A full sleeve thick jacket or something similar.
9. 1 pair of thermal inners (optional)
10. Sports socks.
11. Woolen monkey cap
12. Wind cheater Or a light rain coat/poncho.
13. Woolen hand gloves + synthetic glove (water proof).
14. Sun glasses (polarized or UV protected)
16. Cold cream & sun screen lotion (SPF 40+).
17. Lip balm.
18. Carry 2 Water bottles (1 L each).
19. Personal toilet kit and toilet papers
20. Personal medicine kit
a. Coca 30 – 30 ml
b. Crocin – 6 tablets
c. Avomine – 4 tablets
d. Avil 25mg – 4 tablets
e. Combiflam – 4 tablets
f. Disprin – 6 tablets
g. Norflox TZ– 6 tablets
h. Crepe bandage – 3 to 5 meters
i.Band aid – 10 strips
j. Eno – 6 Satches
k. Cotton – 1 small roll
l. ORS – 5 packets
m. Betadine or any antiseptic cream
n. Volini Spray(small)
21. Small repair kit consisting of safety pins, needle, thread and string
22. LED Torch with 2 extra set of cells.
23. Camera, memory-cards, batteries etc (carry enough spare batteries. Electricity is not available on the slopes or at the base camp)
24. While packing, use plastic bags to compartmentalize things and carry few extra plastic bags.
25. Trekking pole/Stick is mandatory.
26. Carry lots of dry fruits, chocolates combinations as snacks. Chewing gums
27. Travel coffee mug n plate
28. Soap Strip
29. One Candle , lighter